What does The Tonic Bar located in Times Square have in common with Harlem? The Tonic Bar is owned by a couple who live in Harlem. They’ve been residents of Harlem since 2006. The couple behind The Tonic Bar in Times Square have now decided to invest 100 percent in where they live by launching Harlem Tavern, a neighborhood bar & grill, at 2153 Frederick Douglass Blvd. This is the space we told you about back in April how the corner gas station/auto shop was up for lease. (Oh…and a reader too had sent us an update on the recent construction happening at this corner space.)
Today, one of the owners of the upcoming Harlem Tavern spoke directly with HarlemCondoLife to tell us why they are putting their dinero dollars into where they live-particularly Frederick Douglass Blvd.
According to Sheri Wilson from SoHa 116 Restaurant Corporation and co-owner along with her husband says Harlem Tavern will be a restaurant that is representative of Harlem. “Harlem Tavern is going to be a place for everyone. Harlem is such a diverse place. We are creating Harlem Tavern to capture and accommodate that diversity,” says Wilson.
Wilson says word recently got out about their exact plans cause their website was just finished and hit the internet. She said “you’re the first we are speaking to.”
They still have several processes to complete with NYC’s Department of Buildings. However, they’ve built-in plenty of time to open in their business timeline, which is not soon. Wilson says they are aiming to open after the new year. “If all things go as planned, we plan to open in February 2011.” She said if they make that deadline they will get heating lamps to accommodate customers and the winter weather.
In closing, Wilson explained why Frederick Douglass Blvd? “Harlem is a great place to live and Frederick Douglass Blvd is a wonderful street that holds enormous potential for growth.” We could not agree more with Sheri Wilson! We have dubbed FDB as “restaurant row” and the “gold coast of Harlem.” As each day passes, our predictions are becoming more and more of a reality.
A special congrats to our fellow Harlemites on their plans with Harlem Tavern! May everything fall in place and so that we have another new and interesting place to hang! Salude!
Search this blog
Photos by HarlemGal
- Adorable hat store opens on 116th Street in Harlem, Shatzi Life offering holiday discount
- Marcus Samuelsson’s next restaurant opening? Harlem’s restaurant row says NYT
- Why Harlem should shop Black Friday at DSW Designer Shoe Warehouse on 125th Street
- WATCH: Neil Patrick Harris explains to Charlie Rose why he lives in Harlem
- Love a big gulp? 7-Eleven opening its first location soon in Central Harlem
- View rendering of new Harlem condo going up on 110th and Central Park North
- Melba’s Restaurant in Harlem to host Sunday gospel brunch on 125th Street
- Lara Land of Harlem’s Land Yoga strikes a different pose, a reblog
- See Beyond The Lights in Harlem November 6, Free
- Corner bodega in Harlem to become new home for Kennedy Fried Chicken and Pizza
- Lo Lo’s Seafood Shack opening on West 116th in Harlem
- Harlem’s MODSquad Cycles will close at end of October
- Amaretto Espresso Bar in Harlem is open, located on Frederick Douglass Blvd and 115th
- Amaretto Espresso Bar coming to Harlem’s restaurant row
- What to do with kids in Harlem? Café Frederick in Harlem adds Stories and Sounds for kids every Tuesday
- The African-American Day Parade is today, 1 pm in Harlem
- Attend Savor the Season Uptown at Museum of the City of New York in East Harlm
- Trendy shoe retailer takes long time empty commercial space in Harlem
- Wanna live on West 150th in Harlem? 20 Rehabbed apartments now for rent
- Harlem business owner marries beau in Harlem made dress