What does The Tonic Bar located in Times Square have in common with Harlem? The Tonic Bar is owned by a couple who live in Harlem. They’ve been residents of Harlem since 2006. The couple behind The Tonic Bar in Times Square have now decided to invest 100 percent in where they live by launching Harlem Tavern, a neighborhood bar & grill, at 2153 Frederick Douglass Blvd. This is the space we told you about back in April how the corner gas station/auto shop was up for lease. (Oh…and a reader too had sent us an update on the recent construction happening at this corner space.)
Today, one of the owners of the upcoming Harlem Tavern spoke directly with HarlemCondoLife to tell us why they are putting their dinero dollars into where they live-particularly Frederick Douglass Blvd.
According to Sheri Wilson from SoHa 116 Restaurant Corporation and co-owner along with her husband says Harlem Tavern will be a restaurant that is representative of Harlem. “Harlem Tavern is going to be a place for everyone. Harlem is such a diverse place. We are creating Harlem Tavern to capture and accommodate that diversity,” says Wilson.
Wilson says word recently got out about their exact plans cause their website was just finished and hit the internet. She said “you’re the first we are speaking to.”
They still have several processes to complete with NYC’s Department of Buildings. However, they’ve built-in plenty of time to open in their business timeline, which is not soon. Wilson says they are aiming to open after the new year. “If all things go as planned, we plan to open in February 2011.” She said if they make that deadline they will get heating lamps to accommodate customers and the winter weather.
In closing, Wilson explained why Frederick Douglass Blvd? “Harlem is a great place to live and Frederick Douglass Blvd is a wonderful street that holds enormous potential for growth.” We could not agree more with Sheri Wilson! We have dubbed FDB as “restaurant row” and the “gold coast of Harlem.” As each day passes, our predictions are becoming more and more of a reality.
A special congrats to our fellow Harlemites on their plans with Harlem Tavern! May everything fall in place and so that we have another new and interesting place to hang! Salude!
Search this blog
Photos by HarlemGal
- East Harlem’s East River Plaza completely leased out, Planet Fitness and Mt. Sinai rent space
- Custom Fuel Pizza is open to the public in Harlem
- Things to do with kids in Harlem: Children’s yoga starts March 8 at Land Yoga
- Select Harlem residents start petition to bring Citi Bike Share to Harlem
- Central Harlem ranks first in…most condom use!
- Several celebrities expected to visit Harlem’s La Bodega 47 next week
- Is Harlem becoming the next Park Slope? Bad Horse Pizza PR fiasco could be indicator
- Custom Fuel Pizza moves opening date in Harlem to February 26
- Harlem Food Truck Rally postponed to March 29
- NYC Sanitation bulldozer spotted in Harlem lifting snow
- Family theater in Harlem: see The African Drum at The National Black Theater February 9
- Harlem is being asked to conserve on electricity says New York Times
- Things to do with kids in Harlem: Jazz Cats for Kids at Silvana Harlem
- Save the date: February 15 and 16 several food trucks coming to Harlem in food truck rally
- 220 St. Nicholas in Harlem 50 percent rented
- Harlem’s famous Apollo Theater turns 80
- Double Dutch Espresso in Harlem now open on restaurant row
- Free screening in Harlem, see Pompeii with Kit Harington of TV’s Game of Thrones
- Maria’s Cafe is leaving the East Village for West Harlem
- Free tax services offered by Harlem Business Alliance