What does The Tonic Bar located in Times Square have in common with Harlem? The Tonic Bar is owned by a couple who live in Harlem. They’ve been residents of Harlem since 2006. The couple behind The Tonic Bar in Times Square have now decided to invest 100 percent in where they live by launching Harlem Tavern, a neighborhood bar & grill, at 2153 Frederick Douglass Blvd. This is the space we told you about back in April how the corner gas station/auto shop was up for lease. (Oh…and a reader too had sent us an update on the recent construction happening at this corner space.)
Today, one of the owners of the upcoming Harlem Tavern spoke directly with HarlemCondoLife to tell us why they are putting their dinero dollars into where they live-particularly Frederick Douglass Blvd.
According to Sheri Wilson from SoHa 116 Restaurant Corporation and co-owner along with her husband says Harlem Tavern will be a restaurant that is representative of Harlem. “Harlem Tavern is going to be a place for everyone. Harlem is such a diverse place. We are creating Harlem Tavern to capture and accommodate that diversity,” says Wilson.
Wilson says word recently got out about their exact plans cause their website was just finished and hit the internet. She said “you’re the first we are speaking to.”
They still have several processes to complete with NYC’s Department of Buildings. However, they’ve built-in plenty of time to open in their business timeline, which is not soon. Wilson says they are aiming to open after the new year. “If all things go as planned, we plan to open in February 2011.” She said if they make that deadline they will get heating lamps to accommodate customers and the winter weather.
In closing, Wilson explained why Frederick Douglass Blvd? “Harlem is a great place to live and Frederick Douglass Blvd is a wonderful street that holds enormous potential for growth.” We could not agree more with Sheri Wilson! We have dubbed FDB as “restaurant row” and the “gold coast of Harlem.” As each day passes, our predictions are becoming more and more of a reality.
A special congrats to our fellow Harlemites on their plans with Harlem Tavern! May everything fall in place and so that we have another new and interesting place to hang! Salude!
Search this blog
Photos by HarlemGal
- Wreath making class happening in Harlem December 7, learn from Katrina Parris Flowers
- Museum of Food and Drink launches new program in East Harlem, MOFAD Roundtable
- Corner Social hosting Ladies Holiday Party December 4
- Want a Harlem t-shirt? Keep Harlem, Harlem tees now available
- Harlem, reminder tomorrow November 30 is Small Business Saturday
- The Park 112 in Harlem plans to open November 29
- Balanced Pilates in Harlem is open for business
- Lido Harlem offering wine and dinner tastings for upcoming holiday season
- Ballet Hispanico returns to Apollo Theater with three new works and live music
- Pilates studio coming to Harlem?
- Attend Harlem Holiday Lights November 21
- The Things to do in Harlem: Studio Museum Harlem to launch Metal Fabulous
- The History Of Veterans Day From Harlem To Hollywood
- Harlem’s first Red Lobster set to open to the public November 11, next to the Apollo Theater
- Attend Brownstone Live November 9, a live show and art gallery a Harlem brownstone
- Has Harlem’s Masjid Aqsa Mosque been evicted from Frederick Douglass Blvd location?
- Harlem Yo expected to open this coming weekend, second location for Chill Berry of Harlem
- Bed of Nails opens on Adam Clayton Powell Jr. Blvd in Harlem
- Harlem, wondering what are most common Health Care Reform Q and A’s? Learn more here
- Minton’s officially opens it’s doors today to the public in Harlem