What does The Tonic Bar located in Times Square have in common with Harlem? The Tonic Bar is owned by a couple who live in Harlem. They’ve been residents of Harlem since 2006. The couple behind The Tonic Bar in Times Square have now decided to invest 100 percent in where they live by launching Harlem Tavern, a neighborhood bar & grill, at 2153 Frederick Douglass Blvd. This is the space we told you about back in April how the corner gas station/auto shop was up for lease. (Oh…and a reader too had sent us an update on the recent construction happening at this corner space.)
Today, one of the owners of the upcoming Harlem Tavern spoke directly with HarlemCondoLife to tell us why they are putting their dinero dollars into where they live-particularly Frederick Douglass Blvd.
According to Sheri Wilson from SoHa 116 Restaurant Corporation and co-owner along with her husband says Harlem Tavern will be a restaurant that is representative of Harlem. “Harlem Tavern is going to be a place for everyone. Harlem is such a diverse place. We are creating Harlem Tavern to capture and accommodate that diversity,” says Wilson.
Wilson says word recently got out about their exact plans cause their website was just finished and hit the internet. She said “you’re the first we are speaking to.”
They still have several processes to complete with NYC’s Department of Buildings. However, they’ve built-in plenty of time to open in their business timeline, which is not soon. Wilson says they are aiming to open after the new year. “If all things go as planned, we plan to open in February 2011.” She said if they make that deadline they will get heating lamps to accommodate customers and the winter weather.
In closing, Wilson explained why Frederick Douglass Blvd? “Harlem is a great place to live and Frederick Douglass Blvd is a wonderful street that holds enormous potential for growth.” We could not agree more with Sheri Wilson! We have dubbed FDB as “restaurant row” and the “gold coast of Harlem.” As each day passes, our predictions are becoming more and more of a reality.
A special congrats to our fellow Harlemites on their plans with Harlem Tavern! May everything fall in place and so that we have another new and interesting place to hang! Salude!
Search this blog
- New Harlem restaurant opening next to Lido
- Free film screening in Harlem, See Black and Blue Oct. 9
- Vege spot opens in Harlem, Lyn-Genet’s Kitchen owned by bestselling author
- Annie’s Juicery lands on Harlem‘s Restaurant Row
- Redesign planned for Harlem Meer area, groundbreaking set for Fall 2020
- Introducing Bean & Barley, opening on Harlem’s restaurant row
- Paint’n Pour opening in Harlem on restaurant row
- Watching Black Panther in Harlem | Racism | Al Jazeera
- Harlem’s coffee scene continues North with ACP Coffee
- Shop stylish kid essentials by Harlem resident, #blackfriday code offered here
- CitiBike station spotted on Frederick Douglass Blvd in Harlem
- Karaoke Night in Harlem begins September 4th
- Ganache Coffee coming to Harlem restaurant row not Honeycomb Burgers
- Meryl Streep spotted in Harlem, The Papers’ cast dine at Row House
- Harlem-based Black Nuns joining real estate madness, selling historic location
- NYC KidsFest brings Performing Artists to Morningside Park, Sunday June 18
- Whole Foods Market opening in Harlem July 21, 125th & Lenox Avenue
- Practice yoga all day long at Harlem’s Soulfest NYC
- Food and Drink Boulevard in Harlem happening May 10
- Farm-to-table restaurant opens in Harlem, Take the A train to Clay