What does The Tonic Bar located in Times Square have in common with Harlem? The Tonic Bar is owned by a couple who live in Harlem. They’ve been residents of Harlem since 2006. The couple behind The Tonic Bar in Times Square have now decided to invest 100 percent in where they live by launching Harlem Tavern, a neighborhood bar & grill, at 2153 Frederick Douglass Blvd. This is the space we told you about back in April how the corner gas station/auto shop was up for lease. (Oh…and a reader too had sent us an update on the recent construction happening at this corner space.)
Today, one of the owners of the upcoming Harlem Tavern spoke directly with HarlemCondoLife to tell us why they are putting their dinero dollars into where they live-particularly Frederick Douglass Blvd.
According to Sheri Wilson from SoHa 116 Restaurant Corporation and co-owner along with her husband says Harlem Tavern will be a restaurant that is representative of Harlem. “Harlem Tavern is going to be a place for everyone. Harlem is such a diverse place. We are creating Harlem Tavern to capture and accommodate that diversity,” says Wilson.
Wilson says word recently got out about their exact plans cause their website was just finished and hit the internet. She said “you’re the first we are speaking to.”
They still have several processes to complete with NYC’s Department of Buildings. However, they’ve built-in plenty of time to open in their business timeline, which is not soon. Wilson says they are aiming to open after the new year. “If all things go as planned, we plan to open in February 2011.” She said if they make that deadline they will get heating lamps to accommodate customers and the winter weather.
In closing, Wilson explained why Frederick Douglass Blvd? “Harlem is a great place to live and Frederick Douglass Blvd is a wonderful street that holds enormous potential for growth.” We could not agree more with Sheri Wilson! We have dubbed FDB as “restaurant row” and the “gold coast of Harlem.” As each day passes, our predictions are becoming more and more of a reality.
A special congrats to our fellow Harlemites on their plans with Harlem Tavern! May everything fall in place and so that we have another new and interesting place to hang! Salude!
Search this blog
Photos by HarlemGal
- Get fit: Classes in Harlem Offered at Only $10 Per Class
- Experience Harlem unveils app, download it now
- Cafeine Urban Espresso in Harlem taking over former 5 and Diamond space, RDV Bistro to open
- Go clubbing in Harlem at the new Club by Dominik Mager
- Is Trader Joe’s eyeing retail space at Circa Central Park in Harlem?
- Citi Bike inching it’s way into Central Harlem
- Ponty Bistro in Harlem turns two, happy birthday
- Former Harlem mosque turning into luxury rentals
- Cafeine Urban Espresso & Bake Shop opens in Harlem, stop by today (June 12) for $1 coffee
- More room at Melba’s Restaurant in Harlem
- The Seinfelds head to East Harlem…for baseball
- Annual Harlem Food & Drink Event set for June 8
- Live Periscope Tour of FLUX Art Fair in Harlem May 2
- Watch Harlem Gospel Choir perform Prince’s Purple Rain
- Harlem Burger joining Harlem restaurant row
- Attend Community Planning Workshop for CitiBike Share Expansion into Harlem
- Inside Row House Harlem, interiors taking shape, now hiring
- Introducing #HarlemBabyTwo
- Academy Award Winner Lupita Nyong’o to be in Harlem, October 20
- Harlem Harvest Festival happening today, October 10